June 28, 2009

Coupons! Coupons! Coupons!


Coupons! Coupons! Coupons! isn't really the best title for this blog post. It is more like Coupons x 1000! I have gotten behind on filing my coupons. It happens to the best of us. I get six papers on Sunday and they always come in an orange plastic bag. I've got about 30 newspaper filled orange bags in my closet. Jackson asked me when I was going to start coupon shopping again. Well, let's see...we've got toothpaste to last us until Jesus returns; we won't ever need toilet paper again; mascara - check; Tylenol PM - check. It seems the only thing we are out of is white sugar. Well, around here, that qualifies as an emergency.

My choices are: 1. Take a day this week (preferably before that store ads end on Wednesday) and organize the darn things. or 2. Recycle them all and quit.

Well, I am not a quitter! And, what can you do when your 12 year old wants you to start couponing again? So, Monday I will get myself organized and get to the store!

I have been organizing the coupons by clipping all of them and filing them by manufacturer. That is the BEST way to always have what you need. BUT, it is also very time consuming and with 30 papers worth of coupons I just don't think I am up to the task. So, I guess I'll file them by week and clip them as I need them.

If you are reading this (and I don't blame you if you aren't) and you coupon (yes, that is now a verb) and you file by week (possibly the only sane way to do it), how does it work for you?

Posted via email from melissa lake's posterous

2 comments:

Birthblessed said...

I have never made couponing work, period. I feel a little silly using my $4 toothpaste. I had $1/off coupons for my brand, but it's $5.39 at the store with $1 off makes it $4.39... and I can get a 4 pack at Sam's for $12. That's $3 each. So the coupons are worthless to me. They go in the paper bin. DH wanted crackers this week- I never have coupons for crackers because we never buy them. But he wanted them so I bought them full price. My mascara, full price. I have no idea how y'all do this, but I do know I'm not paying to have papers delivered, then I'd have to recycle them.

Corrie said...

I coupon by week using Coupon Sense's filing system and it's sooooo easy!! You can't get behind because you stick them in a file as a whole packet and only clip the coupon when you need it. I've been doing it this way for about 7 years and love it. Shameless promoting myself, I'm teaching a class tomorrow night if you want to come... all are welcome. No pressure, I'm a teacher not a salesperson.