July 6, 2009

The Chosen by Chaim Potok Chapters 1-3

I read through the first 3 chapters of The Chosen by Chaim Potok today. At first, I just wanted the darn baseball game to be over with. I was glad it was only 5 innings! I found myself angry with Danny Saunders and the rest of the Hasids on his team, including the rabbi. They referred to the other team as "apikorsim" - a word I had to look up on the internet because it wasn't in my dictionaries. Apikorsim are secular jews. But, these jews were not what I would call secular by any means. It was the self-righteousness that angered me. Then, seeing Danny's kindness later, and gaining better understanding about him, made me realize how quick I am to judge. I can tell this is going to be a great book for me. I think I will come away from reading this book with a gentler heart toward people who are very different from me.

Just in 3 chapters I learned a lot about Judaism.

As I read, I plan to look up any words that I don't know. I also decided to look up word that I think I know but am not sure I know. I'm glad I did!

Here are the words I looked up:

samovars - a metal urn used especially in Russia for heating water or making tea.

dynastic (dynasty) - hereditary ruler - this surprised me. I didn't really know that the term dynasty had to do with blood lines. Interesting. This was a word I am glad I looked up because I had an idea of what it meant, but I really didn't know.

harrangue (another one I understood, but still looked up) - a long passionate and vehemet speech.

lithe (I thought this meant thin) - bending readily; pliant; limber; supple; flexible

apikorsim - secular jews

barrage - a barrier of artillery fire.

tefillin - something some jews wear during prayer. This was very interesting to me. I had no idea what this was and even that it was used.

No comments: