November 22, 2009

Happy 5th Gotcha!


I don't especially love the term "Gotcha Day". Maybe it just seems too flippant a term to describe something that truly feels like a miracle to our family. It feels like only God could have brought our family of four half way across the world and then to the middle of China to be united with our fifth member - a perfect fit for a father, a mother, and two boisterous boys - Qian Ting - aka Gianna Nora Lake.

Five years ago today, Doug, Jackson, Nathan and I and several other families took an impossibly long trip up an even more impossibly small elevator and walked into a room filled with little black haired babies. Some were in walkers and one, who looked like she had been crying, sat in the lap of a black haired man wearing a black leather coat. She was dressed in pink (her favorite color) and her cheeks were rosy, mostly because they were chapped.

It took me a minute to spot her, but when I did, I knew she was our daughter. I couldn't hold back sobs of joy. But, I quickly quelled my sobs when, in a rush of babies being passed and names being called, I recognized her name being called out. "Qian Ting!" I looked at Doug and said, "That's us!" All four of us rushed over and she was placed in my arms. She cried. I held her and told her, "It's okay. Mommy's got you." Then, "Jesus loves you." With all of the overwhelming love I felt for her at that moment and have felt for her since, I know that even a mother's love isn't as pure and wonderful as the love of our Savior.

To Doug and me, it really does feel like something miraculous took place five years ago today.

So....Happy Gotcha Day, Gianna! We love you!



















7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How precious! Congratulations!! :)

Anonymous said...

WE are so HAPPY she is in our family as well. Gianna has completed your family.. What a precious little lamb as pojaw calls her and to me she is truly my little China Doll.
I can only imagine what "GREAT" things God has planned for her life as it unfold before all our eyes...
I still have the red bracelet,and from time to time.. I will wear it and thank God for our little China Doll. Thanks for sharing this awesome bio.
She makes up the "5 GREAT Lakes" once again.
MAKE IT A GOOD DAY!

Missus Wookie said...

What a lovely post - Happy Gotcha Day :)

D.Lake said...

(wiping away the tears. I am a little verklempt!)

Great job love! The pictures you chose were a great depiction of her and her personality ... for those who've never met her!

I love our baby-grill!

Melissa Loves Color said...

I should have put "aka Baby Grill, aka Pojaw's Little Lamb, aka Owie's China Doll, aka Dolly, aka Precious, etc., etc." :)

Kim & Dave said...

COngrats, guys!! Intersting that you are not too fond of the term "Gotcha Day." I have never been liked it much either, but I wasn't sure why until you mentioned it.

Adorable pics!!!

Owie said...

Wiping tears as I read your post. She has stolen our heart forever! My little beautiful china doll she'll always be!
And her Pojaw little lamb!'
Happy Got' cha Day Gianna Lake