February 8, 2010
The Water Well/Pillowcase Dress Project is "Well" Underway!
"400 Dresses", "Well Dressed", "Drink Well, Dress Well"...
These are some ideas for names for our project.
If this is the first you have heard of it, we are raising $10,150 this year to have a water well drilled in a village in East Africa. To raise money for the well, we are selling pillowcase dresses (they are ADORABLE!) and sending duplicate dresses to little girls in Africa who have no clothes and deserve to feel beautiful!
I have had so many ideas running through my head and so many offers to help that I am overwhelmed (in a GOOD way). I finally slept in until 7:00 am this morning. Excitement and a mind that wouldn't stop had me awake at 3:30 or 4:00 am Wednesday through Sunday!
I started sewing and LOVE the dresses. I have been using up my fabric stash and have also been given fabric from a wonderful friend!
The purpose of the post last week was just to let everyone know what we are doing. It was pointed out to us that there really isn't any good information on HOW to help. So...here are specific steps you can take if you would like to help right away:
1. We need donated fabric (designer fabric preferred). To donate fabric, email me at: email@example.com and we can make arrangements.
2. We need money to buy fabric. Sew, Mama, Sew! has offered to let us purchase fabric at cost plus shipping. That is GREAT news! In order to buy this fabric, we will need donations. If you would like to make a donation specifically for fabric, you can send me a Paypal at: firstname.lastname@example.org or send a check to: Melissa Lake, 42204 N 44th Drive, Anthem, AZ 85086.
3. We need seamstresses. If you would like to help sew the dresses, please contact me. We will be having a sewing event on Saturday, March 6th from 9:00 am to Noon in Anthem, AZ (specific details to come). But, I can also give you fabric and the pattern if you would like to do some of the sewing at home.
4. We need to "sell" dresses! Okay, we're not quite ready for this one yet. We are making dresses, but don't have enough to post in an online store. The dresses will cost $50 for two of them, one of which will be sent to the purchaser and one to a little girl in Africa. The $50 will be a donation, payable directly to Hope 4 Kids International.
5. We need prayer. If you are a pray-er, we'd love your prayers!
We are hoping to get a website up and running soon with just the basic information but we want to keep overhead as low as possible.
Thank you for the amazing support that you have given in just the past six days since we first posted about the project! We started out with the idea that this would be a Lake Family project, but it has almost overnight turned into a community project!!
Posted by Melissa Loves Color at 6:17 PM