December 30, 2007

The 12 Month Compact

Deep Breath...

Doug and I have decided to not buy anything new in 2008.

Our pledge:
  • We commit to not buy new for 12 months, beginning January 1, 2008.
  • We have decided to join the compact because we want to go one step further on our journey to simplicity; we would like to make our "ecological footprint" smaller and; we want to see what will happen in our nuclear family when we are forced to find joy in things that are not material.
  • Our plan includes shopping at second-hand stores, borrowing, bartering, and just not buying.  We also want to learn to buy locally.  
Exceptions:
  • Books that Doug needs for ministry purposes that can't be borrowed or found used.
  • Fabric for Etsy skirts (I will try to use recycled fabric when possible).
  • Hand-made items that support crafters and artists.
  • Underwear, socks, shoes
The kids aren't thrilled.  I am guessing that by the end of the year, they will love it.  What a great opportunity for creativity, right?  

Since I'm brand new to blogging, I need to stop here...I'm tired.

(A few months ago, I said I'd never have a blog...so much for that!)

For more information on the compact, look here.


5 comments:

Michelle said...

Great first post, Melissa. I look forward to watching how your journey goes on "Buying Less, Living More."

Blessings,
Michelle/6 and not finished

Kim & Dave said...

This will be a great way for you to keep track of all aspects of your journey, I'm sure.

Jen Moz said...

Hi Meliss! Good job on your first post! I have some recycled fabric to send you, if only I hadn't deleted your address from my PM box. I really should write it down IRL somewhere, ya think???

Jen/mamamoz

EH said...

Hi Melissa,
So good to hear from you! You look GREAT! What an interesting concept and well worth considering here too. My kids will DEFINITELY not like it either, but it will be so good for them. What about food, do you barter for that or is that excluded?
I'll be watching.

Gavi said...

This is great, Melissa! I look forward to reading more about journey. And thank you for inspiring me to return to my own blog!