February 2, 2008

Calming Fears


Many of you have expressed deep concern for us.  There are two worries in particular that I'd like to address:

1.  Our Finances

We are doing fine financially.  Last year or the year before would have been the time to worry about us.  We are rolling in the dough these days.  Okay, that is an exaggeration, but we are doing just fine.

We are not doing the compact because we don't have money.

We are not doing the compact because we need a lot of stuff but can't afford to buy it new.  In fact, we DON'T want a bunch of stuff (the kids would disagree).

We want to simplify our lives.

We are doing this because we want to focus less on material things and we want to make a smaller impact on the environment.  Everyone can do something to be kinder to the environment.  Some do this by learning to recycle in earnest.  Some just decide to turn off the water while teeth brushing.  We are participating in the compact.

2.  Our Sanity

We have not completely lost our minds.

We are quite sane.

We are enjoying being creative and the challenge of hunting for just the right thing.

We do not need an intervention.


2 comments:

Tiffany said...

So maybe posting this is odd because you don't actually know me, but I am your cousin Nick's wife and stumbled on your blog through Sarah's. Anyhow, I think it is awesome that you are doing this and every time I peek at your blog I think maybe our little family should join in. Right now we are focusing on going more green (no more plastic bags, green cleaning products, actually recycling and not just piling it all up for a time etc). But, thank you for being so inspiring. And witty! I hope to actually meet you at some point. How lame that I've missed out on Nick's cool cousin!

Anonymous said...

Hey Melis - is that a picture from your house? I wondered what was in those trunks when we were there last! :-))
I love your updates! Still waiting for the etsy skirts things though!
since you all are rolling in the cash - how about a trip to Chicago??????????? We'd love to see you guys again!! (I know I keep asking - no pressure!)
Hugs to you all
Melis Mike and Mikayla