January 15, 2008

MUTINY!

It's not quite Mutiny on the Bounty, but the little mutineers are on the rise! One of our children, who shall remain nameless, is NOT okay with not buying new. He or she told us that he or she would be buying some things new this year. To which my response was, "No, we are all participating in this together!" I saw the frustration in his face...I mean his or her face. Suddenly it hit me. There will be many things that I will want to say "no" to. There will be plenty of things he'll want to do or not do that I will feel strongly enough about to insist that he go along with. Not buying new just isn't one of those things. I'm not willing to die on Not Buying New Hill. Jackson agreed that when he is spending his own money, he will make an attempt to buy pre-owned. But, he is free to use his money however he wants.

I want to be an example to my kids. I want them to care about this precious planet that God so perfectly created for us. I will not force my convictions on my kids, though. I want this to be a fun adventure. And, so far it has been.

Our new favorite thing to do at dinner is to choose our silverware. One night we went around the table and discussed how our fork was like us and what it reminded us of. Mine was a very simple pattern with a little bit of frill in the middle. That's a lot like me. I love simple things, but I just can't leave out the frill.  This unexpected routine that I'm sure will soon be a tradition, has brought me joy. I smile thinking about it. I never would have thought, as I dug through the plastic bins at Goodwill for over an hour, that buying used silverware would be so rewarding.


5 comments:

rjb said...

Wise Mama.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to drop a note and say that I think this compact is a fantastic idea! I saw think link on your MF signature and had to check it out. Kudos to you for setting such a great example, not only for your kids but the rest of us as well!

laurajane

Kim & Dave said...

Oh, dear!

I'm glad you worked that out!

Grateful for Grace said...

Such a great idea.
I have a Q though:
Does this mean you'll have to buy your SL core used??
I'm not sure I could do that AND it wouldn' necessarily keep things out of a landfill.

Just wondering. I'll try to be sure to find your blog again to see what you say. Ü

Jes said...

Hey Melissa..

I love your blog! It's really fun to read! I even clicked above and checked out Doug's...fun stuff!

I love the silverware story!

I heard a pastor teach recently, and he was talking about how as evangelicals, we should be the first to step up and be good stewards of the world God has provided for us right now, but that we too often relegate that to what we've judged to be the "environmentalists".

I thought it was such a great perspective. As Christians, we should be environmentalists!

Thanks for setting the example.

Oh...by your other example, I was inspired, and have lost 20 pounds! :) You're a trailblazer!

Love,
Jes