January 3, 2008

Bummer, I can't buy that!


Two days into the compact, Doug and I both had, "Bummer, I can't buy that!" moments. I wanted to buy some new paint to do touch ups in the house, Doug wanted to buy a T-shirt he found online. His thought was, "Oh, that would be a funny shirt to get........USED!" I decided to use the satin paint since I didn't have any flat (anyone have any Frazee Cottage White Flat paint for me?). So, we have some shiny spots on the wall...big deal, right? I think I'll see if I can borrow a cup of paint from a neighbor.

I've had a few questions I thought I'd answer here:

1. Will you buy used food? No, we buy new food. I will try to buy local when I can, but I'm not stressing about it. I'll also try to buy in bulk to avoid all of the packaging, but again, I'm not focusing too much on that just yet.

2. Can other people buy new gifts for us? SURE! We have no intention of forcing our conviction upon others. The good news is that we won't be offended by a second-hand gift!

3. What are the Etsy skirts? I'll be selling twirl skirts on Etsy. Etsy is like Ebay for handmade items. I don't have any skirts listed yet, but when I do, I'll post a link. My store name is, "MyGigi".

So far so good on the journey...it sure makes shopping trips short and to the point. There are entire sections that I won't buy from so why bother browsing?

7 comments:

Jes said...

I love it! Congrats!

We've been doing a lot of this, and I just love it! We bought the majority of our Christmas gifts from Goodwill, and you know what..our kids didn't care a bit!

Brennan got this super neat toy from the 1980s that she digs!

We used paperbackswap.com and shopgoodwill.com for many of our gifts.

I love knowing that we're being better stewards of God's money, because it's all His anyway. :)

P.S. You look so pretty in your new shirt! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Melis!
I can't wait to see these Etsy Skirts! I think I'll have to buy one for Mikayla! Let me know when they're available. :-))

D.Lake said...

You're Hot!

This is what I don't get. You've been blogging two days and have more comments on two posts than I in a year and a half.

It's all good . . . did I mention that You're Hot!

Anonymous said...

I am feeling you sis... I like to go to the lost and found desk at nice hotels and restaurants and pick up wardrobe items for my family. You would be suprised what people leave and don't take the time to claim. Recently I have had the good fortune to pick up hats, a new purse, fishnet stockings and a hair weave.

Rock on Mel

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your new adventure! And Doug I would have been more than happy to comment on yours if you ever told me about it! ha ha. Miss you guys so much!!! Love you, Melis!

Sarah said...

I just opened an Esty store too "Dutch Girl" I'll be selling my bags, but I too have not posted any yet. I'm still working on getting some inventory stocked up. I have a pattern for little girl twirly skirts I am going to try for Grace, probably similar to what you're doing.

Gavi said...

ROFLOL You've gotten that question too (about the used food)? Compacting is so far outside of what people are used to that they often look at us like we have sprouted some extra heads.

I have to admit that I'm a little envious that your DH is on this trip with you. Mine supports me but is not onboard himself. However, I am the one who buys whatever we need for home, so I'll have the most impact. It would just be so much more fun having totally onboard! Maybe things will change!!! :)