January 9, 2008

Nine down, 357 to go...


Well, we've made it 9 days without buying anything new. To my delight, it hasn't killed us...not even close. In fact, not allowing ourselves the option to buy new has given me a lot of peace. I can drive by Old Navy without feeling the need to stop in just to "see what's on clearance".

In case we were wondering whether or not we were doing the right thing (I know I wasn't, but I can't speak for the other 4 members of the family), something really cool happened last week. I was trying to decide whether or not to buy new ink cartridges for the printer. In our compact, we've allowed ourselves to buy new things that are consumable and that we consider a need. I figured putting off the decision was my best bet. Two days later, on a swap board, I found the exact ink cartridges we needed being offered. For a mere $5 (shipping) I saved 2 perfectly good ink cartridges from ending up in a land fill! How about that?


How is life different for us? On the outside, life is the same. However, I can feel a change going on inside. We are thinking about our consumer habits in a totally different way. So far, we have:
  • Filled our silverware drawer with pre-owned flatware. I had a lot of fun picking and choosing from the Goodwill bin.
  • Wondered whether or not we could find a used yardstick on ebay. One member of the family (and I won't mention any names) broke the one we had. We decided it wasn't worth the trouble of having a wooden yardstick shipped to us.
  • Purchased a used book that I could have found $2 cheaper if I had bought it new.
  • Searched for but did NOT find a used Magic Bullet blender.
  • Borrowed a tape measure from my mom.
  • Received a variety of responses from friends and family that vary from, "Are you guys nuts?" to "This is the coolest thing I've ever heard of!"
  • Saved some money!


All of these are different in our life. And we like it! Thanks for all of the great comments. I love reading them, even when they are fake stories of finding used fishnet stockings at hotels.

4 comments:

D.Lake said...

Cool post Love! The printer cartridge thing was Jireh! Saving Money Rocks! Being good stewards of what we have is even better!

Sarah said...

It's inspiring Mel. I think I'm seeing how long I can go without buying anything new. Do cleaning supplies count??? Maybe I'll send you a yardstick for uhhhh... Martin Luther King's Birthday. :)

Heather@To Sow a Seed said...

Just stopped by to give you SL hugs and smiles. YOU ARE DOING A GOOD THING!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I miss you guys a ton. Reading your blog, I couldn't suppress a huge smile. I'm going to talk to Jenn about doing this. She's already addicted to our local Goodwill store, so it would only be hard for me, probably. Anybody have a used shotgun to sell me???

I'm very impressed, and can't wait to hear the other crazy/fun stories. Say hi to the little yard stick breakers for me...